The business world is filled with many challenges and opportunities. In order for a business to take advantage of opportunities and overcome the challenges, a business owner must be able to continuously perform at top levels of achievement. When stress is not managed this consumes much of a person’s energy therefore not allowing great portions of that persons capabilities to be effectively used in the work or personal environment.
A Simple Stress Test – Take the Business Owners Stress Test
- I am impatient with others at least several times a week.
- I worry about the sustainability of my company’s revenue streams.
- I have business debt that is more than 20% of my annual revenues.
- My spouse (or employees) just doesn’t get how big a job this is.
- Given the effort I’m putting in, my net income is nowhere near high enough.
- If I wasn’t here, the place would fall apart within a month.
- I can’t seem to attract – or keep – the right staff.
- I’m doing tasks that I do not like or am not very good at.
- I am working more than 10 hours a day.
- I am running faster and harder than I probably should be.
If you have checked off three to five then you might consider what stress points could be reduced and how you will go about doing that reduction. Consider stress management as an investment in your business no differently than any capital expense. As a small business owner your largest single capital investment is yourself. v